That box of chocolates and bouquet of flowers are so three years ago; cheesy commercials and stereotypical print ads geared towards women are out. Pinterest, and all of its visually organized content glory, is in.

The rapidly growing social platform that allows users to share visual content that links back to the site of origin has gained serious credibility among females over the last couple of years, and forward thinking brands are getting a piece of the pie while it’s still hot

Why? Because women actually trust it.

Most people are aware that the user demographic of Pinterest is predominantly female—80 percent, to be exact. Among a group of women surveyed by BlogHer, 81 percent said they trust Pinterest above all other social media outlets. Only 73 percent of women trust Twitter, and 67 percent trust Facebook.

The reason? Women trust the advice of other women, and Pinterest makes it really easy for users to gain access to that advice and continue sharing it.

For example, a clothing retailer may post images of its latest spring collection, but those images won’t go anywhere unless users re-pin, or share it with their followers. And as the collection gains more and more re-pins, its popularity entices other Pinners to post it as well. Sharing content is an inherent characteristic of Pinterest, and it serves as a platform on which both preference marketing and word-of-mouth can thrive.

So what does this mean for brands?

As far as how much people prefer to connect with companies on social media, here’s the breakdown.

  • 43 percent of Pinners prefer to connect with brands on Pinterest, compared to 24 percent on Facebook.
  • Out of 17 million engagements with brands on Pinterest, only 15 percent actually occurred on the brand’s personal profile page. The remaining 85 percent happened as a result of shared posts.
  • 47 percent of women will make a purchase based on a recommendation from Pinterest. What about Facebook? Only 33 percent. Twitter? Only 31 percent.
  • 39 percent of women found out about new products from Pinterest, while only 24 percent discovered them through Twitter.
  • Over 75 percent of women use Facebook for social purposes.

By nature, Pinterest is already where most brands hope Facebook and other social platforms will evolve: a place to influence a target audience and get them to spread the word. Granted, the site doesn’t have mass appeal to companies across the board, but there are thousands of brands that can and should take advantage.

Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters, and HGTV are some of the major brands that successfully utilize the site. From decadent cake recipes to the hottest clothes to funky new upholstery fabrics, these brands seek to inspire users and either get them to share ideas with others or try it themselves.

Who knows? By the end of this year, ESPN may be the next big brand on Pinterest. Regardless of gender demographics, current stats are impossible to ignore, especially as we pursue the goal of building relationships with consumers.