Often, the most challenging parts of content marketing is getting started. Sitting down to actually write an article, blog post, or whatever can sometimes feel daunting, and many people aren’t always sure where to begin. The fear of getting started actually can hold people back from ever truly allowing their content marketing program to take off.
Don’t let this happen to you!
I have a secret to share that’s going to help you nip this fear in the bud forever.
It’s surprisingly simple: write the title of your content piece first.
When I sit down to write a new piece of content, I like to start with the title or headline. Even though the title often changes by the time I finish the piece, writing a title at the top of my article or post first helps:
- Steers me in the right direction
- Form my thoughts around a big idea
- Allows me to set a goal for what the piece of content should accomplish
Having trouble thinking of a title? These 20 headline templates should help:
- The ultimate guide to _______________.
- 11 ways to get started with _______________.
- Four expert insights on _______________.
- 100 reasons to _______________.
- Seven lessons learned from _______________.
- A beginner’s guide to _______________.
- Five things you need to know about _______________.
- The best way to _______________.
- 12 observations about _______________.
- Nine key takeaways from _______________.
- Getting brutally honest about _______________.
- The 10 most popular posts about _______________.
- Seven tools to help you _______________.
- The five things I know for sure about _______________.
- A day in the life of a _______________.
- The truth about _______________.
- The #1 way to _______________.
- Confessions of a _______________.
- Don’t let this one thing hold you back: _______________.
- Five hot _______________ trends.
Jessica Lawlor is a public relations professional and freelance writer in the Philadelphia area. Her work has been published on Ragan’s PR Daily, Muck Rack, Brazen Careerist, Mediabistro, Business Insider and AOL Jobs. She blogs at JessicaLawlor.com about getting gutsy- stepping outside your comfort zone to reach your goals and live a life that makes you truly happy.